Property Hub Limited
Willesden T: 0208 4593333
Wembley T: 0208 9031002
Vote For The Property Hub @ The ESTAS

Keep your rental income up to date and declared to HMRC

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2018

Keep your rental income up to date and declared to HMRC

The Let Property Campaign gives you an opportunity to bring your tax affairs up to date if you’re an individual landlord letting out residential property in the UK or abroad and to get the best possible terms to pay the tax you owe.

If you owe tax on your letting income you’ll need to reveal HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about the income that you haven’t declared by making a voluntary disclosure.

To get the best possible terms, you must tell HMRC that you wish to take part. You’ll then have 90 days to calculate and pay what you owe.

Who can do this?

You can report previously undisclosed taxes on rental income to HMRC under the Let Property Campaign if you’re an individual landlord renting out residential property.

This includes if you’re:

  • renting out a single property
  • renting out multiple properties
  • a specialist landlord, i.e. student or workforce rentals
  • renting out a room in your main home for more than the Rent a Room Scheme threshold
  • living abroad and renting out a property in the UK
  • living in the UK and renting a property abroad
  • renting out a holiday home even if you use it yourself


You can’t use this scheme to declare undisclosed income if you’re a company, a trust renting out residential property or if you’re renting out commercial property.

If you aren’t sure whether you need to disclose any unpaid taxes you can contact our Accounts Team and they will put you through to our Partner firms, who can help you make the right decision about the action you need to take.

You’ll answer a few simple questions and get guidance on what you need to do that is specific to your circumstances.


If you should disclose but choose not to HMRC is targeting tax evasion by residential landlords. They’ll use information they have about property rental in the UK and abroad and other information they hold on customers to identify people who might not have paid what they owe.

If you don’t make a voluntary disclosure now and HMRC finds out later, you could get higher penalties or face a criminal prosecution.

Help and advice?!

If you have an accountant they will be able to provide you with guidance on this matter. Alternatively, you can speak to our preferred Accountancy firms.  Our partner firms, has  experience advisors who will be able to provide you with the right advice on bringing your tax affairs up to date with HMRC and giving you peace of mind. 


Featured Property For Sale